Brief Drupal resume
- Drupal developer, administrator, contributor and trainer since 2005
- Technical consultant for Acquia, Inc.
- Manager and lead developer of Arizona State University's University Technology Office Drupal team
- Co-founder, key contributor, and presenter to the ASU Drupal Users Group
- Lead developer for ASU alt^I's Drupal-based learning platform
In the fall of 2010, I started work as a technical consultant for Acquia, Inc.
In my work at ASU's Applied Learning Technologies Institute (alt^I), I helped to architect and developed a learning management platform built on Drupal and tightly integrated into an open source suite of applications. The project has been deployed internationally to universities, school districts, and professional training organizations.
From 2009-2010, I led the Web Consulting Services team in ASU's central University Technology Office. The group was responsible for maintaining and supporting a shared web hosting infrastructure for over 1200 domains. The WCS team provided Drupal development and support services, and was seen as the primary support resource for more than 700 Drupal installations on campus. I also co-founded the ASU Drupal Users Group. The group provided monthly meet-ups that involve training, community building, and support for the Drupal community at ASU and within the local Phoenix area.
Because of WCS and alt^I, Drupal has become known throughout ASU as both a premier content management system as well as an enterprise-level application framework.
Also take a look at my development toolbelt.
New media developer, designer, and educator
- Development and administration of content management systems
- Drupal (core, module and theme development; server administration), WordPress, RSS
- Data driven, standards based, accessible, usable web application development
- Enterprise data and security-related technologies
- CAS, ASU Webauth, LDAP, EDNA, ASU CEM
- Web server administration, deployment, and maintenance:
- Ubuntu, Linux, Apache, Amazon Web Services (EC2, EBS, S3)
- Development-related tools
- Issue tracking, documentation, code management: JIRA, Confluence, Subversion, CVS, Git, Emacs
- Installation, development and maintenance of learning management technologies
- Sakai, Moodle
- Interactive Multimedia Development & Application Design
- Flash, Flex, ActionScript 2 & 3
- Graphic Design & Photo Editing / Manipulation
- Photoshop, Illustrator
- 2007 - 2010 >> Masters of Education in Education Technology >> Arizona State University, Tempe
- 2003 >> B.F.A. Degree in Visual Communication >> Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff
2010 - Present >> Acquia, Inc. >> Technical Consultant
Help clients execute amazing websites using Drupal.
2009 - 2010 >> ASU University Technology Office >> Manager and Lead Drupal Developer, Web Consulting Services
Technical Skills Required: Drupal / PHP / Python / MySQL / AJAX / jQuery / LDAP / EDNA / CEM / Webauth / CAS / JIRA / Confluence / Git / Subversion / CVS / Photoshop / Emacs / Linux / Amazon Web Services (EC2, EBS, S3) / SOAP / XML-RPC / Aegir
- Lead and manage a team of Drupal developers, site builders, and administrators.
- Architect enterprise-level solutions for University needs.
- Develop Drupal modules for ASU- and site-specific purposes.
- Work with clients from throughout campus on Drupal best practices, covering site architecture, module and theme development, administration, performance, security, and content management.
- Provide training and support to the ASU Drupal community.
- Architect local and cloud-based solutions for ASU's Drupal infrastructure.
2004 - 2009 >> ASU Applied Learning Technologies Institute >> Systems Analyst Principal
Technical Skills Required: Drupal / Sakai / PHP / MySQL / AJAX / iTunes U / LDAP / EDNA / CEM / Webauth / CAS / JIRA / Confluence / Subversion / CVS / Photoshop / Flex / Flash / Blackboard / Contribute / Dreamweaver / Adobe Connect
- Installed, developed, themed and maintained applications and tools for IDEAL, a state-wide learning environment for Arizona K-12 staff, faculty and students using Drupal, Sakai, uPortal, Moodle, CAS and various proprietary applications.
- Developed Drupal modules for interfacing with IDEAL- and ASU-specific enterprise data sources (LDAP, EDNA, ASU Webauth and CEM) and for communiting with Blackboard, Sakai, iTunes U, MediaWiki and Subversion.
- Developed and maintained the main IDEAL web site in Drupal and a created a new user registration system.
- Developed a community-driven web application that allows IDEAL users to share, rate and comment on learning resources such as lesson plans and map those resources to Arizona state standards.
- Developed Drupal themes used by many university departments, including an implementation of the university-sanctioned template.
- Contributed to development of the Sakai Question Bank Tool, used for addressing IDEAL’s Formative Assessment requirements, and now shared with the Sakai community.
- Actively participated in the Drupal open source community by contributing several modules and patches.
- Actively participated in and contributed to the Sakai open source community.
- Taught workshops on Drupal, Sakai and standards-based, accessible, usable web design practices using XHTML, CSS, Dreamweaver and Contribute. Workshops were taught both in-person and online via Connect.
- Installed and maintained Confluence and JIRA for project documentation and issue tracking and evangelized the tools such that they are now used throughout the University Technology Office.
- Established workflows and customized JIRA for managing project-related issues and processes.
- Advised departments, faculty, co-workers and student employees on recommended tools and best practices for development of instructional media using Drupal, Sakai, Flash, Flex, XHTML and CSS.
- Assisted with development and maintenance of several components of the ASU Web Community site using Drupal and serve on the Web Community’s editorial board.
- Designed, developed and deployed an application that allows nursing students to use PDAs to track their daily activity and allows their instructors to view data about student performance.
- Developed, themed and maintained several project- and grant-focused web sites using Drupal.
- Developed complex Rich Internet Applications using Flex, ActionScript, PHP, mySQL and XML.
- Implemented a department-wide weblog system and promoted and educated the community and coworkers on Drupal and WordPress, and RSS, podcasting and blogging technologies in general.
- Led development and collaborated with others in front- and back-end coding and Universal Access-related issues during the development and maintenance of several department and associated websites.
- Implemented a Macromedia Contribute-based update system for the DMIT and MEC websites.
- Implemented content in the Blackboard environment.
- Recommended for purchase and tested hardware and software for project development.
2003 - 2004 >> NAU School of Communication >> Part-time Faculty
- Computer Imaging II, a 300-level class, focused on developing web design skills using XHTML and CSS while expanding upon skills in Photoshop, Illustrator and Flash.
- Web Design, also a 300-level class, built upon skills learned the previous semester. The course was administered in the WebCT environment and required students to develop actual sites for non-profit clients.
- Taught several workshops on various web technologies including standards-based web design and introductions to Flash and ActionScript.
1998 - 2004 >> NAU Unions & Student Activities / SUN Entertainment >> Junior & Lead Advertiser
- Started as a Junior Advertiser and in Spring 1999, was promoted to Lead Advertiser for SUN Entertainment and Unions & Student Activities at NAU.
- Responsibilities included designing and implementing marketing on a limited schedule and budget for the AfterHours program, as well as for concerts, films and programs sponsored by affiliated departments.
- Managed the development of two department web sites, the goal being to meet the highest standards of accessibility and usability while maintaining a strong visual design.
- Managed the development of two Flash-based game shows that were used for the AfterHours program.
2003 - 2004 >> Co-owner, Creative Director >> TAUWeb (The Accessible Usable Web)
- A web design, development and consulting company specializing in accessible, usable web design.
Apr. - Nov. 2002 >> NAU TechShare Project >> Multimedia Specialist
- Joined TechShare for 6 months in 2002 to assist in the development of cutting-edge educational modules.
- Responsible for the creation of multimedia content including 3D imagery (using Maya and 3D Studio Max), interactive Flash modules and assisting with video and audio production.
Presentations & Conferences
- ASU Drupal Users Group, 2008 - Present
- Advanced CCK & Views (2010)
- CCK & Views (2010)
- Upgrading Your Site to Drupal 6.x
- Maintaining Your Site Using CVS and Subversion
- Drupalcon DC '09, CAS, FeedAPI
- Content Access Control & Workflows
- CCK & Views (2008)
- Understanding Drupal Nodes
- Games, Learning & Society Conference, 2010
- Decoder Ring
- DrupalCon San Francisco, 2010
- Drupal at ASU
- Participant in post-conference Drupal core code sprint
- Do It With Drupal, New Orleans, December 9 - 11, 2009
- Drupal for Schools and Universities
- DrupalCon DC, 2009
- Microcomputers in Education Conference, March 12 - 14, 2007
- Building Online Experiences with Open Source Software
- An Overview of Sakai in K-12
- 7th Sakai Conference, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 12-14 June 2007
- The Integrated Learning Platform
- Sakai in K-12
- 5th Sakai Conference, Vancouver, BC, Canada 30 May - 2 June 2006 (Community Source Week)
- UI Panel: Toward a Delightful Sakai User Experience
- Graduated Summa Cum Laude
- Visual Communication Outstanding Graduate
- Student Employee of the Year, Honorable Mention
- 2001 - 2003
- Certificate for Outstanding Academic Achievement, NAU School of Communication
- Best of Class Award, Paper Titled "Visual Propaganda in 1954"
- Best Flyer / Poster, ACUI Reg. 13 Fall Conference, "Publicity Competition"
- Facilitator and volunteer at the nationally-recognized HOBY Youth Leadership conference from 2004 to present.
- Hosted Czech foreign exchange student 1997-98, visited Czech Republic in 1998.
- Passionate about games, films, books, photography and artistic experimentation.